5/24/2010

Other Duties As Assigned

So for those of you who work in house or as designers in an atmosphere that isn't solely design-related, how do you handle the "other duties as assigned" portion of your role?

I know for me it can be a mixed blessing. I work at a university, and the opportunity to get away from the computer for awhile can be wonderful. It's nice mixing the day up. By the same turn, it can sometimes be frustrating getting dragged away from something creative to do more "mundane" tasks.

What do you guys do to keep yourself in the zone even when you can't be actively, well, zoning?

4 comments:

  1. music! when I have to do those "other duties"-- I plug in the headphones and crank happy music -- that seems to make it go by faster so I can get back to my real passion -- art direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for me. It's rare to find me without my headphones stuck happily in my ears :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog! I would say music too and just as a general rule keep on thinking about your designs sometimes when you're away from them you can think up ways to make them bigger and better. That way you always come back refreshed and full of good creativity and ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to agree, Kirsty - I've gotten some of my best ideas in the shower! :)

    ReplyDelete